With the summer concert season in full swing, millions around the country are getting their fix of outdoor music. But where exactly are the hottest markets for the sizzling hot season? Here are the best-selling outdoor concert venues, according to 2019 sales data.
Most of the 25 best-selling outdoor concert venues are spread along the East Coast and Midwest, per the map below. However, the top spot belongs to Colorado’s famed Red Rocks Amphitheatre. The vast open amphitheater is a perennial favorite among Denver-area natives plus tourists during the summer months, noted for its breathtaking scenery and impeccable natural acoustics. Red Rocks has already played host to a variety of acts this season, including Luke Combs, Florence + The Machine, Zedd and Widespread Panic. The remainder of the 2019 summer concert season at the Colorado landmark includes shows from Peter Frampton, Diana Ross, Vampire Weekend, Bon Iver, and a special comedy gig featuring Jon Stewart and Dave Chappelle.
Top 25 Best Selling Outdoor Concert Venues By Location
Colorado notched a second venue on the list, as the Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre came in as the tenth best seller. However, a majority of the other hot venues are on the other end of the country. Northeastern venues Northwell Health at Jones Beach Theater, PNC Bank Arts Center, Xfinity Center and Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion all ranked within the top 10. Charlotte’s PNC Music Pavilion also added to the East Coast’s dominance by taking the fifth spot.
The Midwest is well represented, with outdoor concert venues serving the areas of Detroit, Chicago, Cincinnati and Indianapolis all drawing strong sales this year. On the West Coast, Los Angeles proves to be the hottest market. The iconic Hollywood Bowl – a hub for concerts, comedy gigs and even stage productions – ranked fourth on our sales list, making it the lone West Coast venue to crack the Top 10. Northern California’s Shoreline Amphitheatre and Mountain Winery concerts landed those venues within the bottom half of the list, along with Salt Lake City’s USANA Amphitheatre and Phoenix’s Ak-Chin Pavilion.
The most congested region for outdoor concerts is the bustling Washington D.C. area. Three best selling outdoor concert venues fell within only a 65 mile radius: Maryland’s Merriweather Post Pavilion plus Virginia’s Jiffy Lube Live and Wolf Trap venues were all best sellers.
See the full list of this year’s best selling outdoor concert venues below.
Top 25 Best Selling Outdoor Concert Venues of 2019 (So Far)
- Red Rocks Amphitheatre – Morrison, CO
- DTE Energy Music Theatre – Clarkston, MI
- Northwell Health at Jones Beach Theater – Wantagh, NY
- Hollywood Bowl – Los Angeles, CA
- PNC Bank Arts Center – Holmdel, NJ
- PNC Music Pavilion – Charlotte, NC
- Xfinity Center – Mansfield, MA
- Riverbend Music Center – Cincinnati, OH
- Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion – Gilford, NH
- Fiddlers Green Amphitheatre – Englewood, CO
- Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre Tinley Park – Tinley Park, IL
- Jiffy Lube Live – Bristow, VA
- BB&T Pavilion – Camden, NJ
- Dos Equis Pavilion – Dallas, TX
- USANA Amphitheatre – Salt Lake City, UT
- Mountain Winery – Saratoga, CA
- Wolf Trap – Vienna, VA
- Ruoff Home Mortgage Music Center – Noblesville, IN
- Shoreline Amphitheatre – Mountain View, CA
- Blossom Music Center – Cuyahoga Falls, OH
- Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater – Virginia Beach, VA
- Ak-Chin Pavilion – Phoenix, AZ
- Merriweather Post Pavilion – Columbia, MD
- Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre Missouri – Maryland Heights, MO
- The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – Spring, TX